Sunday, April 5, 2009
EARTH HOUR
Earth Hour is a global initiative by the World Wide Fund for Nature to raise awareness of climate change. It is the second year that Earth Hour is being observed in Singapore. It is held on 28th March 2009 from 8.30 pm - 9.30 pm.
I feel that this event is to encouraged to turn all of their nonessential lights off for one hour, starting at 8:30 PM. The event is also designed to draw attention to the issue of wasted electricity, and to point out that small actions can make a significant difference in electricity consumption. On that day , I thought off offing all the lights, but I have not finish my homework , so I cannot off the lights and take part in this event.
The event also promotes the use of energy efficient lighting and policies in businesses which encourage energy efficiency. The goal of Earth Hour is to connect people with the issue of global warming on an immediate level, showing them how they can make a difference. Participating in Earth Hour is very easy, making the event simple to organize for communities which want to support it.
During earth hour , everybody will off the lights for one hour. During earth hour , my family and I can daze at the stars in the sky, lit a few candles and play boardgames and lit candles and joke around.
The carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases that we produce are naturally trapped by the ozone layer to keep the planet warm and suitable for us to live on. But "by burning fossil fuels such as coal, gas, oil and clearing forests" (www.climatecrisis.net) more and more carbon dioxide is being trapped, heating up our world more than normal.
So by reducing the carbon dioxide we put out into the earth we will be reducing the amount of carbon dioxide trapped by our atmosphere.